War Cemetery is a military cemetery located in Chai Wan, Hong Kong
. The cemetery contains the graves of the dead of the Second World War, mostly soldiers from the Commonwealth and Allied Forces who fell during the Battle of Hong Kong. The Sai Wan Bay Memorial includes the names of 228 Canadians who died in the defence of Hong Kong.
The cemetery was built in 1946. It is now one of the many maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission since the land has been leased since 1953. A memorial hall marks the entrance into the cemetery, which bears the names of more than 2,000 Commonwealth servicemen who died in the Battle of Hong Kong or subsequently in captivity and those who have no known grave.
The graves are marked with white upright granite headstones depicting the regiment's insignia. The cemetery is enclosed within a wall of flowering shrubs and bushes. An Altar of Remembrance, bearing the words from Sirach: "Their name liveth for evermore" marks the top of the flight of stone steps leading down a center aisle towards the Cross of Sacrifice. Both the cemetery and memorial were designed by Colin St. Clair Oakes.
Other than those died in defence of Hong Kong, the remains of POWs died in Taiwan were brought to Sai Wan for burial as well. There are now 1,528 casualties of World War II buried or commemorated at Sai Wan War Cemetery, 444 of the burials are unidentified.
About 280 servicemen were from Canada, including Brigadier John K. Lawson and Colonel P. Hessessy. Lawson was the highest-ranking officer to be killed in action during the defence of Hong Kong, his remains were originally buried by the Japanese at Wong Nai Chung Gap
during the occupation but were reburied at the cemetery.