Anekal (Ānēkal) (Kannada: ಆನೇಕಲ್) is a town and taluk of Bangalore Urban district. It lies in the southern part of the Bangalore metropolitan area around 35 km from downtown Bangalore, located close to Tamil Nadu border.
Kannada, Tamil, Telugu are the most widely spoken languages in Anekal. Anekal is known for the karaga and Dussera festivals. Muthyalamaduvu, a small picnic spot with a small waterfall is five kilometres away from the town.
Anekal is famous for the cereal Ragi which is being grown in the area and is the staple food supporting the agricultural fraternity. Anekal is also called as "Ragiya Kanaja" which means Ragi Depot of Karnataka state.
List of ancient temples found in Anekal
- Kambada Ganesha temple located in the town center, is well known for its monolithic statue of Lord Ganesha on a long pillar.
- Sri Amrutha Mallikarjuneshwara and Sri Bhramarambika temple are one of the many historical temples located in the town.
- Sri Avimukteshwara Deva (ಶ್ರೀ ಅವಿಮುಕ್ತೇಶ್ವರ ದೇವ) at Neriga village (ನೆರಿಗೆ)this is a powerful god Lord shiva's temple no idea when it may be built, distance 26 km-Bangalore, 27 km-Anekal, 21 km-Hosakote, 26 km-Hosur.
- Temple of Lord Chennakeshava in Anekal believed to have been established by Lord Arjuna
- Sri Madduramma Temple in Huskur, built by the Chola kings belongs to kamma community
- Sri Bandi Mahakaliamma Temple in Marsur Madiwala which is being built by the villagers adjoining seven villages, Shettihalli, Marsur, Bandapur, M. Madivala, Adesonnahati, halehoor Agrahara Naganayakanahali, Besmanahalli ably assisted by the erstwhile Maharajas of Mysore in the late 18th century
- Lord Srirama Temple in Narayanaghatta Village built by the erstwhile Hoysala Kings in the late 15th century
- Sri Hanuman temple is one of the oldest temple in kittur rani chenammaa road
Muthyala muduvu is a famous place, this place has got a water fall, old temple. This place nearly looks like a forest. This place is just 35 km away from the garden city Bangalore. Nature lovers will enjoy. Sri Thimmaraya swamy temple in anekal is also a very famous temple and here the lord thimmraya swamy is believed to be an incarnation of lord tirupati balaji and is swamybu and born out of valmika. Sri Veeranjaniya swamy temple located in Submangala village 5 km from anekal.
One More Place of Interest: If you come little away from Anekel town, the road which reach Chandapura, Bangalore - Hosur Highway you would see a beautiful ashram built by VKST - Vishala karnataka Sky Trust.
Subbaraya Shastri, the Brahmin to give the first sketch of Aeroplane belongs to Anekal.
Veteran Kannada actor Late. UdayKumar is from Anekal.