The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Bandra is a Roman Catholic church in Bandra, Mumbai. It was built in 1894 by Jesuit Missionaries. As the catholic population in Bandra increased in the latter half of the 20th century, a new modern structure was constructed in its place. The new church was blessed and inaugurated on the 11th February, 1981 by Archbishop Simon Pimenta, Archbishop of Bombay.
The main altar of the original church was obtained from one of the ancient, ruined churches of Diu. The original parishioners who were fisher folk contributed towards the building of the church, transporting stones and other construction materials in their fishing boats to the building site.
The New Church:
he new church was constructed in keeping with the post–conciliar spirit of the Second Vatican Council. For example, the sanctuary is not separated from the body of the church by communion rails which was a feature in the older churches. Besides it is characterized by an absence of clutter and is well ventilated. The rough and rustic stone backdrop of the sanctuary provides a background for the large cross and crucifix which has been carved from a single tree. The altar table and lectern have a geometrical design with slender proportions, constructed of black and ruby- red granite. the top of the altar is a single block of granite. There is no statue in the sanctuary apart from the large crucifix and there are relatively few other statues in the church.