The Jehangir Art Gallery is Mumbai (India)’s most famous art gallery and a tourist attraction. It was founded by Sir Cowasji Jehangir at the urging of K. K. Hebbar and Homi Bhabha. It was built in 1952. Managed by the Bombay Art Society, the entire cost of this mansion was donated by Cowasji Jehangir.This gallery is situated at Kala Ghoda, behind the Prince of Wales Museum, in South Mumbai near the Gateway of India. and has four exhibition halls. The gallery was designed by G.M.Bhuta for G.M. Bhuta & Associates. A mammoth institution in itself, its history is linked with the renaissance of Indian art. The complex also has the popular cafe of Samovar, which is reminiscent of the 70's socialist culture. It also houses Natesans, the country's oldest licensed antique dealers. Entry is free.
In popular culture:
The art gallery and the Samovar restaurant were featured in the 1975 Bollywood film Choti Si Baat.The building has been designed by Durga Bajpai and is one of the early concrete structures in the city. The gallery has been turned inwards due to a combined function of an auditorium and an art gallery. Although the concept of an introvert art gallery could be questioned today, the Jehangir is an example of an early modernist notion of the inward looking art galleries in the city. Moreover, the function of the auditorium left no scope for the gallery to be open to the street. The play with concrete can be easily seen with a large wavy cantilevered entrance which embraces the street. The otherwise bland facade is articulated with relief stone cladding.