Also known as ‘The Sun City’, Jodhpur is the second largest city in Rajasthan. A very important and popular tourist destination, the landscape around Jodhpur is scenic and mesmerizing. Blessed with a grand fort, palaces and other attractive historical monuments, Jodhpur has always been the second capital of Rajasthan.
This bustling desert city was founded by Rao Jodha, the leader of the Rathore clan, in 1459 AD. The mammoth, imposing fortress (Mehrangarh) has a landscape dominating a rocky ridge with the eight gates leading out of fortress. The new city is outside the structure.
The Rathores enjoyed good relations with the Mughals. Maharaja Jaswant Singh (1678) supported Shah Jahan in the latter's war of succession. The relations with the Mughals soured during the reign of Aurangzeb who launched a crusade against the Hindus, made preparations to bring the state of Marwar under his control, ordered demotion of temples and revival of Jeziya.
After Aurangzeb's death, Maharaja Ajit Singh drove out the Mughals from Ajmer and added it to Marwar.
In the reign of Maharaja Umed Singh Jodhpur grew into a modern city. The quintessence of Jodhpur was its valour and equestrian skill. Polo has been the traditional sport of the Jodhpur nobility since medieval times.
Jodhpur has two railway stations – City and Rai ka Bagh. Both the railway stations are outside the walled city. The bus stand is right outside the Rai ka Bagh Station. The High Court is near the bus stand next to the Umed Gardens. Also located nearby is the tourist reception centre and RTDC Hotel Ghoomer. Ahead is the main market and entry to the walled city is from Sojati Gate. This area also has many hotels. Jodhpur is also an army and an air force station. It has a large cantonment and airbase.