Munroe Island is located at the confluence of Ashtamudi Lake and the Kallada River, in Kollam district, Kerala, South India. The island, accessible by road, rail and inland water navigation, is about 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Kollam by road, 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) west from Kundara and about 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Karunagapally. The place is named in honour of Resident Colonel John Munro of the former Princely State of Travancore. The island measures 13.4 square kilometres (5.2 sq mi) in area.
In 1795 the British established their supremacy in South India and Kerala came under their governance. From 1800 onwards, in order to maintain British Supremacy in Kerala, a Resident was appointed by the British Administrative head. The First Resident was Colonel Collin Macaulay, followed by Colonel John Munro. During Munro’s tenure, a senior priest of the Malankara Church, Pulikottil Joseph Kathanar, expressed his desire to establish a seminary for training priests .They used to go arrinallur St george church which in existence from 68 A.D . The history of Munroe Island is connected with the history of Church Missionary Society (CMS). In 1819, during the reign of Rani Gowri Parvati Bayi of Travancore, Munroe Island was granted to the CMS with a condition that revenue generated from the land should be used for the "KEROSENE EXPENSE" of the Syrian students of old seminary in Kottayam and should not be diverted for any evangelical purpose.
The island village is a tourism destination where one can watch coir retting process, coir weaving, fishing, prawns feeding, migratory bird watch, narrow canals and waterways, coconut farms on the lake shore, lagoons, kandal plants and the beautiful tiny islands of Pathupara. Kallada Boat Race, which is one of the famous boat races in Kerala, is at Karuvathrakadavu- Muthiraparambu nettayam in Munroethuruth. The famous Chittumala Theerthatanam starts from here.