Padmanabhapuram Palace is located in at Padmanabhapuram Fort, close to the town of Thuckalay in Kanyakumari District. It is about 20 km from Nagercoil, and about 50 kilometers from Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The palace complex is inside an old granite fortress around four kilometers long. The palace is located at the foot of the Veli Hills, which form a part of the Western Ghats. The river Valli flows nearby. The palace is administered by the Government of Kerala archeology department.
The palace was constructed around 1601 CE by Iravi Varma Kulasekhara Perumal who ruled Travancore between 1592 CE and 1609 CE. The palace complex continues to be one of the best examples of traditional Kerala architecture, and some portions of the sprawling complex are also the hallmark of traditional Kerala style architecture.
The Padmanabhapuram Palace complex consists of several structures:
Mantrasala- literal meaning, King's Council Chamber
Thai Kottaram-literal meaning, Mother's Palace (It didn't mean the mother's palace, but the first building or the mother of the buildings over there) - believed to have been constructed before AD 1550
Nataksala- literal meaning, the Hall of Performance, or of Performing Arts. A four-storeyed building at the centre of the Palace complex
Thekee Kottaram-literal meaning, the Southern Palace