Pathuriaghata is a neighbourhood in north Kolkata, earlier known as Calcutta, in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is one of the oldest residential areas in what was Sutanuti. Once the abode of the Bengali rich, the neighbourhood and its surrounding areas are now dominated by Marwaris. Even in the 21st century the area is replete with colonnaded mansions.
Amongst the oldest and most renowned residents of the neighbourhood were the Tagores. Joyram Tagore, who amassed a large fortune as a merchant and as Dewan to the French government at Chandannagar, shifted from Gobindapur to Pathuriaghata, when the British constructed new Fort William in mid eighteenth century. There is a road named after his son, Darpanarayan Tagore (1731-1793), considered by many as the founder of the Tagore family. It is between Maharshi Debendra Road and Jadulal Mullick Road in Ward 21 of Kolkata Municipal Corporation. That is just off Pathuriaghata, but under Jorabagan police station. The Tagore family established themselves at Pathuriaghata, Jorasanko, Kailahata and Chorbagan, all neighbourhoods in north Kolkata.
‘Tagore Castle’ had an auditorium and the Tagores patronised Banga Natyalay, from 1859 to 1872. It was started by Jatindra Mohan Tagore and his brother Shourendra Mohan Tagore, both ardent theatre enthusiasts. The first play staged here was Kalidas’ Mālavikāgnimitram in Sanskrit, in July 1859. A year later, a Bengali translation of the play by Pandit Ramnarayan Tarkaratna was staged here on 7 July 1860.