Taleigão is a town in Ilhas, Goa, near the capital city Panjim. Taleigão is a developed village in Ilhas de Goa bordered by the Arabian Sea to the west, vast tracts of fields to the east, Odxel-Vaiguinim-Dona Paula to the south and Santa Inez-Bhatlem to the north. Located just five kilometres from Panjim, Taleigão was the granary of the north Goa during the Portuguese era, as vast tracts of agricultural land were under rice cultivation.
The essence of Taleigão lies in its marvellous expanses of palm – fringed beaches, the bright green paddy fields and Nagalli hill, antique houses and mansions, broad roads, foot paths, antique church, traffic circles beautified with azulejo titles, chapels and temples, educational institutions, hotels and of course its friendly and fun loving inhabitants. The population is mixed with lot of settlers from other parts of Goa and outside Goa, especially on the Dona Paula Plateau and elsewhere. The original inhabitants are Gawda tribes who were (and still some of their descendants) involved in cultivation of the Comunidade land.
The Igreja de São Miguel Arcanjo (Church of St Michael the Archangel) is one of the oldest churches in Goa which was built by the Dominicans in 1544. It is also the only church in the town, serving one of the largest parishes in Goa. The Chapel of Blessed Sacrament was annexed in 2006 during the tenure of Fr. Carmo Martins. The present parish priest, Fr. Conceiçao D’Silva, who took charge of the church in June 2011, took the initiatives to give a facelift to the church and renovate the parochial house and church office. The beautiful compound wall fitted with azulejo tiles bordering the Adro da Igreja de São Miguel and the illumination around it were added by Atanasio Monserrate. The Taleigão parish celebrates the harvest feast with pomp and gaiety on 21 August, and the feast of the patron on the nearest Sunday on or after 29 September.
Taleigão also has at least twelve chapels and a number of road-side crosses some of which have been sheltered in the recent past. The oldest chapel was built by Franciscans in 1541 at Cabo. It is dedicated to Nossa Senhora Mãe de Deus. It houses some exquisite artefacts including a 17th-century portrait of the infant Jesus made of ivory. St. Pedro Copel, also known as Ruzai Saibinichem Copel (Nossa Senhora do Rosário) at Caranzalem was built in the year 1731 by Cónego Francisco da Cunha Souto Maior. St. Francis Xavier’s Chapel at Kerant originally known as Copela de San Francisco Xavier de Taleigão was built in 1928.
It was blessed on 10 October 1930 by the then Bishop of Cochin and Administrator Apostolate, and the first mass was celebrated on 12 October 1930. It was enlarged in 1935 and renovated in 2002. Just 100 meters from this chapel is Nossa Senhora da Piedade which was constructed in November 1846 in Eugenio ward. Another oldest chapel at Odxel dedicated to Nossa Senhora de Lourdes was constructed by Querobino Martins de Taleigão in November 1891. The chapel of Nossa Senhora do Perpétuo Socorro at Dona Paula was built in September 1935.