Tangasseri is a beach town on the shores of the Arabian Sea in Kollam
. It is located around 5 km from the city center and 71 km from Thiruvanthapuram, the state capital.The Portuguese were the first Europeans to establish a trading center in Tangasseri, Kollam in 1502, which became the centre of trade in pepper. In the wars with the Moors/Arabs that followed, the ancient church of St Thomas was destroyed.
In 1517, the Portuguese built the St Thomas Fort
Tangasseri Quilon, which was destroyed in the subsequent wars with the Dutch. The ruins of the Fort can still be seen in Tangasseri. In 1661, the Dutch took possession of the city.The remnants of the Dutch forts can be found at Tangasseri. In the 18th century, Travancore conquered Kollam, followed by the British in 1795.
Tangasseri remains today as an Anglo-Indian settlement, though few Anglo-Indians remain. The Infant Jesus Church in Tangasseri, an old Portuguese-built church, remains as a memento of the Portuguese rule of the area. But now the Old Cathedral is Demolished and in its place a new Cathedral was built and it was concencrated and blessed on December 3rd, 2005.The new cathedral was built avout a cost of around 4.5 crores of Indian rupees ( around 1.2 million U.S dollors). The church is also a tourist attraction nowadays. The metallic cross on the top is ine of the largest cross in India.
Tangasseri is a picturesque seaside village with a three kilometre long beach on which stands a 144 feet tall lighthouse - a silent sentinel warning seamen of the treacherous reefs of the Tangasseri, since 1902. There are also ruins of Portuguese and Dutch forts and 18th century churches.
Tangasseri Fishery harbour
Fishery harbour at Tangasseri is proposed as a basin for traditional fishermen.This has been achieved by the construction of two breakwaters. The length of main breakwater is 2100m and that of leeward breakwater is 550 m. Sufficient beach length for providing beach landing facilities for all operational crafts is provided in the harbour.