Tubbercurry or Tobercurry is the second-largest town in terms of both population and land area in County Sligo, Ireland. It lies at the foot of the Ox Mountains, on the N17 national primary road.Tubbercurry has a very active Tidy Towns Project which is setting out to transform the town's visual appearance. It was one of the first towns in Ireland to be awarded Fair Trade status and is now home to a large Polish community who work in many of the local industries and retail stores.The village is currently twinned with Viarmes in France.
The earliest mention of Tubbercurry is from 1397 when a battle took place in the town between two O’Connor families, the O’Connor Don from Roscommon and the O’Connors from Sligo town. St. Naithí is the patron saint of the area.
Despite its small size Tubbercurry, is renowned in the West of Ireland for night time entertainment. Several bars and restaurants, as well as traditional Irish pubs, form the main attraction for people who travel from all over the Connacht region.
Teach Laighne/Public Library:
This modern civic structure on Humbert Street which contains a state-of-the-art library, as well as meeting rooms and government offices which has won architectural awards. It is used by the community for meetings and other functions. The library has been instrumental in facilitating the setting up of a number of other groups in the community such as the Tubbercurry Writers Group, the Tubbercurry Bookworms Reading Group, and the library Chess and Draughts Club for children. A number of other community groups such as the Tubbercurry Tidy Towns project, Tubbercurry Women's Group and the Tubbercurry Historical Society meet regularly in the library. The library is now the sole venue in County Sligo for a number of different exhibitions and collections and also serves as a venue for many workshops, presentations and lectures of interest to local people.
Currently public transport to the town is provided with a bus service which connects Tubbercurry directly with Galway, Sligo, Castlebar, Westport and Tuam, as well as frequent services to nearby
Ireland West Airport.
The town also has a number of private bus and hackney hire companies.
Tubbercurry railway station opened on 1 October 1895, closed for passenger traffic on 17 June 1963 and finally closed altogether on 3 November 1975.