Ofakim (Hebrew: אֳפָקִים), (lit. "horizons") is a city in southern Israel, 20 kilometers west of Beersheba. It was founded as a development town on April 19, 1955. In 2012, Ofakim had a population of 24,634. The mayor is Zvika Greengold.Ofakim was established as a regional center for the rural communities in the area. The early residents were Jewish immigrants from North Africa and India.
As in other development towns, the industrial sector has historically played an important part in Ofakim's economy. In 1972, 32% of the salaried workers (754 people) were in this sector, and in 1983—924 people (23%). During this period, the textile industries consistently employed by far the most workers, ranging from 72% (1982–83) to 82% (1972). The Of–Ar (short for Ofakim–Argentina) textile factory was a major employer.
In 2001, there were 19 schools and 4,704 students in the city – 13 elementary schools (3,079 students), and 8 high schools (1,625 students). 43.3% of 12th grade students were entitled to a matriculation certificate.One of Israel's 14 tennis centers is located in Ofakim. It opened in 1990 and has six courts. The city also has a soccer stadium.
A train station opened in 2010 with a car park for 1,000 cars, and an old industrial building is being converted into an art museum.The Nahal Shomriya cycling route around Ofakim was inaugurated in 2010. The 60-centimeter-wide single route winds through 1,500 dunams (approx 375 acres) in Ofakim Forest, passing through Nahal Shomriya and Nahal Patish, and looping around eight local moshavim.