Caffè Florian is a coffee house situated in the Procuratie Nuove of Piazza San Marco, Venice. It was established in 1720, and is the oldest coffee house in continuous operation (with Café Procope in Paris).
The Florian opened with two simply furnished rooms on 29 December 1720 as "Alla Venezia Trionfante" (Venice the Triumphant), but soon became known as Caffè Florian, after its original owner Floriano Francesconi. The Caffè was patronised in its early days by notable people including the playwright Carlo Goldoni, Goethe and Casanova, who was no doubt attracted by the fact that Caffè Florian was the only coffee house that allowed women.
In 1858 the café was completely restored by Lodovico Cadorin because the rooms were not really restored since the 18th century. Cadorin created a great project of redecoration, calling the best artists and artisans available in Venice.
In the early twenty-first century Florian experimented with branching out of Venice and opened a location on Via del Parione in the centre of Florence.