Santa Brigida is a convent church dedicated to St Bridget of Sweden and the Swedish national church in Rome. It was also known as Santa Brigida a Campo de' Fiori since it was built on what was then part of Campo de' Fiori but is now the urbanistically distinct Piazza Farnese.
The façade was constructed in 1705 and adorned with statues of St Brigid and her daughter St Catherine by Andrea Fucigna. Minor changes, such as the shapes of the windows, were made in the 19th century. The design of the neo-romanesque bell-tower, added in 1894, is attributed to the architect Raffaele Ingami who carried out much consolidation work for the convent at the time.
There are two marble holy water fonts. On the right-hand one may be seen the lily of the Farnese family, placed here when Cardinal Odoardo Farnese was the protector of the convent, 1601-1626. The one on the left side has the arms of the Carmelite Order. Another protector was Cardinal Virginio Orsini whose coat of arms can be seen on a marble bowl in the sacristy.
In the early 18th century the church was embellished with six paintings Scenes from the Life of St Bridget by Biagio Puccini, executed between 1702 and 1705. Circa 1709-1711, Puccini also painted the large ceiling fresco. In its centre is The Glory of St Bridget which is clearly influenced by the large marble relief of The Glory of St Catherine of Siena by Melchiorre Cafà from the 1660s.
There are three recently discovered memorial plaques in the church. They are not in their original positions. Two of them, one by the entrance to the Chapel of St Richard and one by the sacristy door, must have been in Bridget's room, and the third was probably placed on the façade until the new church was built in the 16th century.