Salon de thé François is a café in Kyoto, Japan, located at Nishikiyamachi-dōri-Shijō-kudaru; Shimogyō-ku, Kyoto. The building is one of Japan's Registered Tangible Cultural Properties.
Salon de thé François was established in 1934 by Shōichi Tateno (September 7, 1908 – June 6, 1995). The building was originally built as a traditional wooden townhouse (Machiya) and was later converted into a western-style café. Tateno had graduated from Kyoto Municipal Art School and became one of the most active leaders of the labor movement in Kyoto in the 1930s. He decided to found a café with the spirit of enlightenment of socialism and art. The café was named “Salon de thé François” in homage to the French painter Jean-François Millet. The profit of the Salon de thé François became a secret source for funding the Japanese Communist Party.
On July 1936, the Salon de thé François started to support distribution of an anti-fascist newspaper, “Doyōbi.” The Doyōbi (“Saturday,” in Japanese) was a six-page tabloid edited by Masakazu Nakai, a lecturer at Kyoto Imperial University, and Raitarō Saitō, an actor at the Shochiku movie studio. The Doyōbi was issued twice a month, distributed mainly in Kyoto and Osaka, and reached a circulation of 8,000.
In July 1937, a week after the outbreak of the Second Sino-Japanese War, Tateno was arrested because of his anti-war activities. In November 1937, Nakai and Saito were also arrested and the Doyōbi was discontinued. During their imprisonment, Rushiko Sato, one of the hall staff members, operated the Salon de thé François.