The TIME TUNNEL is Malaysia’s first memorabilia museum. Located in Brinchang
, it is recognised as one of the main attractions of the Cameron Highlands. It is approximately 90 kilometres (56 mi) from Ipoh or about 200 kilometres (120 mi) from Kuala Lumpur.The complex is unlike any other in Peninsular Malaysia — it is filled with collectibles and memorabilia that serve as a reminder of what life was like in Malaysia during the pre-War years.
The outfit was first established in January 2007. Since then, it has continued to grow at a measured pace. Situated at the basement of Kok Lim Strawberry Farm, the split-level unit occupies a passageway that stretches for more than 80 meters. There are more than 4,000 objects and photographs on display here. They are showcased in eight galleries covering an area of approximately 14,000 square feet.
The museum can be reached via public or private transport. It is less than two kilometres from Brinchang town or about seven kilometres from Tanah Rata
. It is open daily from 9am to 6pm. There are no restrictions to photography at this place.
The Aborigine Section
The Barber Shop
The Children’s Corner
The ‘Coffee Shop’
Collectibles & Memorabilia
The Jim Thompson Corner
The Kitchen Area
The Photo Gallery
The museum is known for its collection of old photographs. To date, it has an inventory of more than 1,000 images. It includes photographs of:
Lee Kuan Yew and Lee Hsien Loong when they visited the Cameron Highlands in 1954;
P. Ramlee’s identification card;
S.K. Convent (when it was a British Military Hospital in the 1950s);
Jim Thompson, the Thai silk king;
All Soul’s Church (undated);
Ye Olde Smokehouse (1950s);
"Moonlight" bungalow (undated);
"Sunlight" bungalow (undated);
the bridge over the Sultan Abu Bakar dam (1960s);
the Government Rest House at Tanah Rata (1950s);
the 2nd hole of the Cameron Highlands Golf Course (1930s);
Tanah Rata (1940s);
Cluny Lodge (1960s);
Father's House (1950s);
Lutheran Mission bungalow (undated);
Tanah Rata post office (1950s);
the Cameron Highlands Home Guard (1950s); and
the then Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation when it moved to Tanah Rata in 1947.