Amsterdam-Oost is a borough of Amsterdam, Netherlands, established in May 2010 after a merger of the former boroughs of Zeeburg and Oost-Watergraafsmeer. In 2013, the borough had almost 123,000 inhabitants. Amsterdam-Oost is the borough of Amsterdam on the eastern side of the Singelgracht canal. The borough is bordered by the Amstel river in the west, the Weespertrekvaart canal in the south, and the IJ lake in the east and north.
The eastern city expansion beyond the 17th-century Amsterdam canal belt began in the last quarter of the 19th century with the development of the Oosterparkbuurt and Dapperbuurt. These neighborhoods, including the Weesperzijde area along the Amstel river, are called Oud-Oost ('Old East').
In the early 20th century, additional urban expansions were planned in eastern direction. Between 1920 and 1940, the Indische Buurt and Transvaalbuurt neighborhoods were constructed, partly on the territory of the former municipality of Nieuwer-Amstel. To improve the accessibility of these new neighborhoods, a railway project known as Spoorwegwerken Oost ('Eastern Railway Works') was carried out between 1932 and 1942 in which the old ground level railroads were elevated on embankments and viaducts. In addition, the former Weesperpoortstation (1843) was closed on October 15, 1939, to be replaced by the Amsterdam Amstel Railway Station. The railway works also allowed for the extension of several tram routes.