Rokin is a major street in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Originally it was part of the river Amstel, and was known then as Ruck-in (from 'inrukken', which means 'to withdraw', as some of the houses on the Amstel had to be shortened to construct the quays there in the 16th century). The Rokin begins at Muntplein square and ends at Dam Square. In 1936, the part between Spui square and Dam square was filled in. On the remaining part of the water, canal boats are now moored.
During the on-going construction of the North-South line, a new metro line, archeologists will dig down to a depth of approximately 20 meters on the Rokin. The archeological finds in what used to be the Amstel river are expected to shed new light on the history of Amsterdam and on the landscape and environment of the area in the millennia that preceded the founding of the city.
The Mirakelkolom, which normally stands on the Rokin, has been temporarily removed during the construction of the metro line. The Mirakelkolom is a stone column made up of remnants of the Heilige Stede (Nieuwezijds Kapel), a chapel built to commemorate the 1345 Mirakel van Amsterdam (Miracle of the Host). The chapel was demolished in 1908.
Amsterdam's first commodities exchange was built in 1608-1609 at the corner of the Rokin and Dam Square. The commodities exchange, designed by Hendrick de Keyser, played a key part in the economic success of the city during the Dutch Golden Age. The building was demolished in 1835. A fire in the Rokin on May 9, 1977, claimed 33 deaths.