Skippers Bridge that enabled the gold miners to safely reach Skippers Point was a suspension structure.Building of this bridge was done as early as 1866. It crossed the river only 6 metres above the water and was prone to damage from flooding. It was replaced in 1871 but rebuilt at the same place.The access to this first crossing of the Shotover River was difficult as the approaches to it were very steep on both sides.At the time the new road to Skippers Point was completed, plans for a new higher bridge were made. Work on this new bridge began in 1898 and lasted for about 2 years.In March 1901, the bridge was officially opened by the Minister of Mines and finally replaced the old one.The stone approaches of the old bridge still stand and are visible from Skippers Road.
Even though the completion of the existing Skippers Bridge was done after the gold rush was over, it is today one of the major attractions for visitors to Skippers Canyon
as it spans a gorge with sheer rock faces on both sides and is about 100 metres above the river.