Câmara de Lobos Portuguese: chamber of the wolves is a municipality, parish and city in the south-central coast of the island of Madeira. A suburb of the, much larger, capital, it is nonetheless one of the larger population centres and extension of the economy of Funchal. The location of the modern town is believed to be the original landing point for the Portuguese discoverer João Gonçalves Zarco, who is credited with the discovery of the Madeira Islands. When the explorer disembarked in this area (1419), he observed a thin cliff that extended into the ocean, and another cliff face that formed an amphitheatre-like harbour that could shelter ships from Atlantic storms.
The municipality was created by ministerial decree on 25 May 1835, and invested in its executive on the 4 October 1835. Initially, this administrative division included the parishes of Câmara de Lobos, Curral das Freiras, Estreito de Câmara de Lobos and Campanário, all territorial parts of the Funchal. With many alterations, the newly constituted municipality of Câmara de Lobos operated with those parishes as its core, until Quinta Grande was constituted from sites in the parishes of Campanário and Câmara de Lobos, but maintaining its total area. On 6 May 1914, Campanário is deannexed to the newly created municipality of Ribeira Brava, and on 5 July 1996, the parish of Jardim da Serra was constituted from the higher altitude localities of Estreito de Câmara de Lobos.