Bolshoy Krasnokholmsky Bridge (Russian: Большо́й Краснохо́лмский мост) is a steel arch bridge that spans Moskva River in downtown Moscow, Russia, carrying Garden Ring between Tagansky District and Zamoskvorechye Districts. It was completed in 1938 by V.M.Vakhurkin (structural engineering), G.P.Golts and D.M.Sobolev (architectural design). Its main span is the widest arch span in Moscow (168 meters).
Bolshoy Krasnokholmsky Bridge (1938):
The new bridge was designed to eliminate this kink, so the bridge-to-river angle is 55 degrees. Initially, planners considered a cable-stayed scheme, but a combination of cable scheme and a sharp angle seemed too risky, so they reverted to conventional arch design. Main span consists of seven sickle-shaped steel arches, each 168 meters long and 10.68 meters high. They are made of SDS steel (Специальная Дворца Советов, Palace of Soviets Special). Total steel consumption for the main span (with deck) is 6000 metric tons, or 890 kilograms per square meter of deck.
Shoreside pylons, finished in granite slabs, are based on four concrete caisson foundations (each 35.6 by 15.0 meters) reaching the solid limestone slab which is 11.5-13.0 meters deep at this point. Total length of bridge, with concrete approach ramps, is 725.5 meters, width 40.0 meters (8 traffic lanes, which originally included two tram tracks).
In 2005–2007, the bridge went through a major overhaul. Deck and approach ramps (excluding their side walls) were torn apart and replaced. Visually, bridge retained all original structural details.