Bolshoy Moskvoretsky Bridge (Russian: Большой Москворецкий мост) is a concrete arch bridge that spans the Moskva River in Moscow, Russia, immediately east of the Moscow Kremlin. The bridge connects Red Square with Bolshaya Ordynka street in Zamoskvorechye. Built in 1936-1937, it was designed by V. S. Kirillov (structural engineering) and Alexey Shchusev (architectural design).
Moskvoretsky Bridge (1829/1872, Demolished):
Wooden bridges east of the Kremlin have existed since the fifteenth century, as witnessed by Venetian Ambrosio de Contarini, who travelled through Moscow in 1476.
The first permanent Moskvoretsky bridge was built in 1829, about 50 meters west of the present site. Three wooden arches, each 28 meters long, were supported by stone abutments. It was loosely based on Kamennooostrovsky Bridge in Saint Petersburg designed by Agustín de Betancourt. The bridge burnt down in 1871; after the fire, steel arches and decking were installed on the old abutments.
Bolshoy Moskvoretsky Bridge (1937):
In 1935-1938, all the bridges in downtown Moscow were replaced with high capacity bridges. Moskvoretsky Bridge was the first to be completed, and was the only concrete bridge of the 1930s. The bridge was placed at the narrowest point of the Moskva River, west of its predecessor; as a result, blocks of Zaryadye and Balchug were razed to make way for construction.
The main arch of the current bridge consists of three concrete boxes, 92 meters long and 6.1 meters high. The two arches over the embankments are each 42.8 meters long. The bridge has a total width of 40 meters (8 lanes), and its total length with approach ramps is 554 meters. Although it is a concrete structure, Alexey Shchusev finished the bridge in pink granite slabs to create the illusion that the bridge is actually built in stone.