Petrogradsky Island (Russian: Петроградский остров) is the third largest island in the Neva River delta in Saint Petersburg, Russia. Along with Zayachy Island, Aptekarsky Island, and Petrovsky Island, it constitutes the Petrogradskaya Side (Russian: Петроградская сторона). It is the administrative center of the Petrogradsky District and hosts a number of universities and research centers, as well as cultural, historical, and recreational facilities.
Petrogradsky Island lies between the Neva River and its Bolshaya Nevka branch. It is separated from Aptekarsky Island on the north by the Karpovka River, from Krestovsky Island on the west by the Malaya Nevka, from Petrovsky Island on the south by the Zhdanovka River, and from Zayachy Island on the southeast by the Kronverksky Strait. It is linked to the central district by the Troitsky Bridge, to Vasilievsky Island by the Birzhevoy (Exchange) Bridge and Tuchkov Bridge), to Petrovsky Island by the Maly Petrovsky Bridge, to Krestovsky Island by the Lazarevsky Bolshoy Krestovsky Bridges, and to the Vyborgskaya Side via the Sampsonievsky and Grenadersky Bridges.
Places of Interest:
Petrogradsky Island is the home of several noted universities, science and research institutes. The Saint Petersburg Pavlov State Medical University, located at 6/8 Leo Tolstoy Street, was founded in 1897 as the first Russian medical institute for women.
The Saint Petersburg State University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics is one of Russia's leading technical universities. The A. F. Mozhaisky Military Space Engineering Academy (13 Zhdanovskaya street) is a polytechnical military educational institution and space research center.
Of historical interest is the Cruiser Aurora, the oldest commissioned ship in the Russian Navy and a symbol of the October Revolution of 1917. A museum since 1956, it is anchored in the Bolshaya Nevka, near the Sampsonievsky bridge. Just north of the Kronwerk, in the former Aquarium Gardens, the first motion picture was shown in Russia in 1896, at what is now Lenfilm Studios The island also houses the Baltic House Festival Theatre, the Yubileyny Sports Palace, the Saint Petersburg Planetarium and the Leningrad Zoo.