Battaramulla is a suburb of the city of Colombo, situated 5.2 miles from the City Centre at Colombo Fort, near the Parliament of Sri Lanka. It is one of the fastest developing administrative, commercial and residential areas in the Colombo District being home to the country's elite. By present Battaramulla has been an important town in Sri Lanka, because of the Sri Lanka government decided to locate all the government department head offices in this town.
Battaramulla has always been an adjunct to Kotte, which lay on the opposite side of the Diyawanna Oya. At the time of the Kotte Kingdom, the cooks at the royal palace would travel there daily by ferry across the Diyawanna Oya. The place they embarked was called bat-tota-mulla ('cooked rice-landing-corner', 'cooked rice' being a synonym for a meal), which became 'Battaramulla'. Kotiyagoda, a suburb of Battaramulla, derived its name from kotuwe-egoda ('the shore opposite the fortress'). This pattern was followed when the Parliament was shifted to the Doowa island in Kotte, several government offices being set up in Battaramulla thereafter.
After invading the whole country by England, they built a Church in 1850 in Battaramulla, but after that they called the village as Thalangama. The invaders wanted to eliminate the name of the old village Battaramulla and mentioned the area as Thalangama in every legal document. However the old Sinhala Buddhist villages wanted to protect the old village name Battaramulla. In 1887 a temple called Sri Sudharmaramaya was established in Battaramulla and the buddhist monks in the temple emphasized the importance of protecting old name of the village which belonged to the Kotte kingdom earlier. After establishing postal service in Sri Lanka the post office established in Battaramulla, called as Thalangama sub post office. However after getting the independence (in 04th of February 1948), in 1970 this mistake was re-corrected by promoting the sub post office into a main post office called as Battaramulla. (These facts were extracted from a book called "Eda Saha Ada Battaramulla")
The Battaramulla, Pelawatte, Koswatte and Kalapaluwawa areas, which comprise Battaramulla was previously governed by a separate municipal structure called the Battaramulla Town Council. It was dissolved and the area is now administered by the Kaduwela Municipal Council. The Battaramulla District Office of Kaduwela municipal council is the administrative office of the area which is located at Pannipitiya road.