Banqiao District (Chinese: 板橋區; pinyin: Bǎnqiáo Qū) is a district and the seat of New Taipei
in northern Taiwan (Republic of China
). It has the third highest population density in Taiwan. It was formerly the 22nd densest city in the world, with over 24,000 people per square km. Until the December 25, 2010 creation of New Taipei City
, Banqiao was an incorporated city (then transliterated as Panchiao
) and the former seat of Taipei County.
The city's old name was "Pang-kio" (Chinese: 枋橋; pinyin: Fāng-qiáo; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Pang-kiô; literally: "timbered bridge"), which dates back to the Qing Dynasty during the reign of the Qianlong Emperor (1735 - 1796 AD). A wooden bridge was built for pedestrians to cross a brook located in the west of today's Banqiao. In 1920, the Japanese government modified the name (Chinese: 板橋; pinyin: Bǎnqiáo; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Pán-kiô; literally: "planked bridge"), which is read "Itabashi" in Japanese. The same name is still used today, but is called "Banqiao" in Mandarin Chinese. However, in Taiwanese Hokkien, the old name "Pang-kiô" is still the norm.
Banqiao Agricultural Park
Lehua Night Market
Lin Family Mansion and Garden
Nanya Night Market
Paleo Wonders Mineral Fossil Museum
Banqiao is well served by multiple public transportation services. Bus lines connect Banqiao with downtown Taipei and nearby cities. Five metro stations are located in Banqiao: four along the Banqiao Line and one on the Tucheng Line. High-speed rail bullet trains and conventional rail TRA trains are served by Banqiao Station
. All rails through Banqiao have been located underground since 1997. The future Metro Circular Line will also run through the district. By road, the district is served by Provincial Highway No. 3 and Provincial Highway No. 64.