Xindian District (Chinese: 新店區; pinyin: Xīndiàn Qū) is an inner city district in the southern part of New Taipei City, Taiwan.
Xindian's name originated during the Qing Dynasty close to 300 years ago. According to legend, a person named Lin and others came from Quanzhou, Fujian Province. On a mountain road leading to Wulai, they built a small cabin and opened a store selling groceries and for the exchange of goods with mountain aborigines. Since the store had no formal name, travelers called it "New Store" (Chinese: 新店; pinyin: Xīndiàn; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Sin-tiàm).
An area usually not considered as part of Xindian is Ankeng (安坑), although it is within the jurisdiction of the city, located in a valley on the west side of the Xindian Creek. It was originally called Àm-kheⁿ-á (Chinese: 暗坑仔; pinyin: Ànkēngzǎi; literally: "dark/secret gorge"), due to luxurious vegetation in the area. However, it was later decided to be indecent and the name was changed to Ankeng (Chinese: 安坑; pinyin: Ānkēng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: An-kheⁿ; literally: "peaceful gorge"). Taiwan's Kuomintang government moved the seat of government (in exile) of Fujian Province to Xindian from 1956 to 1996.