Wat Suan Dok (Thai: วัดสวนดอก) is a Buddhist temple (Wat) in Chiang Mai
, northern Thailand. It is a Royal Temple of the Third Class. The temple is located along Suthep road, approximately one kilometre west of Suan Dok gate.The Chiang Mai campus of the Buddhist Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University is housed within the temple compound.Wat Suan Dok was founded by King Kue Na of Lanna for the monk Sumana Thera in the year 1370 CE.
The large 48 meter high bell shaped chedi - built in a Sri Lankan style - can be seen from far. The relic of the Buddha is said to be contained within. Stairs on all four sides originally led up to the narrow terrace encircling the chedi but these have since been replaced by ramps, the balusters of which are decorated with seven-headed nāgas emerging from the mouths of makaras, as is typical for the classic Lanna style.
The large sala kan prian (Thai: ศาลาการเปรียญ, sermon hall) is located directly east of the main chedi. It was built in 1932 by the famous monk Phra Krubra Srivichai, who also had an ubosot built as well as the main chedi restored. The main Buddha statues inside the sala kan prian are placed so that they look out at opposite directions. The statue of the Buddha seated in meditation (Bhumisparsha Mudrā) looks towards the east, whereas the other statue, a standing Buddha holding a bundle of straw, faces west towards the chedi.
The recently renovated ubosot contains a 4.70 m (15.4 ft) high bronze Buddha statue in the Bhumisparsha-Mudra posture, which was caste in 1504 CE during the rule of King Mueang Kaeo. The statue, which carries the name Phra Chao Kao Tue, is remarkable in that the fingers of the Buddha are all of the same length, indicative of influence from Sukhothai
, but with robes depicted in the style of the Ayutthaya
A grouping of white washed mausoleums, which house the cremation ashes of members of the royal family of Chiang Mai, is located in the northwestern quarter of the temple grounds. At the beginning of the 20th century, Princess Dara Rasmi, one of the wives of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) and daughter of the Lanna king Inthawichayanon, had the ashes collected from around Chiang Mai to be interred at their present setting.