Central State Hospital, formally referred to as the Central Indiana Hospital for the Insane was a psychiatric treatment hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana.
The grounds of Central State Hospital were still largely vacant as of 2011. In place of the demolished Women's Ward (Seven Steeples) is a large lawn. There are approximately 10 buildings on the grounds that were associated with the hospital. The Pathology Department building, built in 1895, is well preserved and houses the Indiana Medical History Museum. The three more modern wards (Evans, Bolton, and Bahr) were built in 1974 when the others were demolished. The oldest building on the property is the old power house, built in 1886. The Administration building, which was built in 1938, is now most commonly associated with the hospital, although it never housed patients. In 2005, the Beckmann Theatre was granted temporary occupancy of the 1895 Laundry Building where it staged its production of "Asylum". More recently, the building has been used for storing cars.
The Indiana State Archives, the Indiana State Library, and the Indiana Medical History Museum (housed in one of the hospital's remaining nineteenth-century edifices), are preserving the history of an institution that served the mentally ill of Indiana for 146 years.
In March 2003, the city of Indianapolis purchased the property from the state for $400,000. The land that was acquired consists of 160 acres (0.65 sq km) located on the city’s westside at the 2800-3300 blocks of West Washington Street.
From WTHR 12/6/06- "Indianapolis - The city approved the sale Wednesday of the old Central State Hospital site to a developer. Eyewitness News partners at the Indianapolis Star report High Mark Development is buying the 160 acres (0.65 km2) for just over $2 million. The hospital for the mentally ill closed in 1994. The future of the site will include apartments, shops and green space."