Gallagher's Steakhouse, a steakhouse restaurant located at 228 W 52nd St in the Theater District in Manhattan in New York City, was founded in November 1927 by Helen Gallagher, a former Ziegfeld girl, the wife of Edward Gallagher (1873-1929), and Jack Solomon, a colorful gambler with a large loyal following from the sporting element. These were the days of Prohibition and Gallagher’s was one of the first speakeasy gathering places for gamblers, sports figures, and stars of Broadway. There is now a location in the New York-New York Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The restaurant opened, next door to the Alvin Theater just nights before "Funny Face" opened.
In 1933 when FDR took office he fulfilled his promise to end Prohibition. With liquor now legal, Gallagher and Solomon brought a new style of restaurant: Broadway’s first steak house. This is where the first “New York Strip” steak was served. With just the basics and an informal atmosphere of speakeasy and American country inn. The walls were covered with photos of the stars of Broadway, Hollywood, business, politics, and athletes past and present. Even the stars of Belmont Park and Aqueduct Racetrack at Jamaica are honored.
When Helen died, Jack Solomon married Irene Hayes, who was also a former Ziegfeld girl and one of the top florists in Manhattan whose business is still known as Irene Hayes Wadley & Smythe. After a number of years at the helm, as the sole owner of Gallaghers, Hayes decided to sell and chose Jerome Brody, the restaurateur responsible for the Rainbow Room and the Four Seasons.