Magnolia Plantation is a former plantation in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2001. Included in the Cane River Creole National Historical Park, Magnolia Plantation is also a destination on the Louisiana African American Heritage Trail.
According to the Sabin Gianelloni, Sr. Papers (submitted to the LSU Libraries) Subseries 2. Sabin, Jr. and Vivian Gianelloni correspondence, 1937-1957 - "Sabin, Jr. tells of his purchase of Magnolia Plantation (Aug. 24, 28, Sept. 24, 1951)" [from its original owners] however, records are not showing any transfer to the Conservation or Parks division in later years. [Information added by Meg Gianelloni McDonough, March 2013]
The park portion of the plantation is owned by the National Park Service. The main house and the farming acreage is owned by the Descendants of Ambrose John Hertzog and Sarah Jane Hunter Hertzog. The Park Service has acquired 16 buildings, including the Plantation Store, the cotton gin, the Overseer's House (or Slave Hospital); blacksmith shop and the brick quarters. It continues to improve their condition to preserve them for future generations.
The Cane River Creole National Historical Park is located at 5487 Louisiana Highway 119. The closest town is Derry, Louisiana. The park is open from Mondays to Fridays, from 8 am to 4:30 pm.