Ohio City is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Cleveland, Ohio. It is located immediately west of the Cuyahoga River. The City of Ohio became an independent municipality on March 3, 1836, splitting from Brooklyn Township. The city grew from a population of 2,400 people in the early 1830s to over 4,000 in 1850. The municipality was annexed by Cleveland on June 5, 1854.
The modern focal point of Ohio City is the historic West Side Market, built in 1912. The European-styled market, located at the intersection of Lorain Avenue and West 25th Street, draws an estimated one million visitors annually. Located north of the West Side Market is one of the largest contiguous urban farms in America. The Ohio City Fresh Food Collaborative includes a farm, retail farm stand, and community kitchen on a 6-acre city parcel.
The neighborhood contains the largest concentration of breweries in Cleveland. Most famously, the award-winning Great Lakes Brewing Company is located on W. 28th Street. Its brewpub on Market Avenue (adjacent to the West Side Market) occupies a building that formerly housed the Market Tavern, a pub frequented by Eliot Ness. Three additional breweries have opened in the 2010s, which include Market Garden Brewery and Distillery, Nano Brew Cleveland, and the Slovenian-owned Lasko Brewery at the Hansa Haus.
Founded in 1886, Saint Ignatius High School is located near the west side market. It is a Jesuit college prep school. Some members of the community[who?] have bristled at the expansion of the school and have resisted the sales of surrounding property.
The Cleveland Hostel is first and only hostel in the city of Cleveland. Opened in 2012, the Cleveland Hostel is located on W.25th Street and Chatham Avenue strategically nearby to the W.25th Street Red Line rapid station that connects from Cleveland Hopkins Airport and Downtown Cleveland.
St. John's Episcopal Church, located at Church and W. 28th Street, is the oldest consecrated building in Cuyahoga County and is the mother church of the current Episcopal cathedral located in downtown Cleveland. The church was one of the final stops on the Underground Railroad in Northeastern Ohio, and the remains of an entrance to a tunnel leading to the banks of the nearby Cuyahoga River can still be seen in the basement. Several nearby streets retain church-related names, such as Vestry. An Episcopal parish continues to worship in the space, although membership has dramatically declined with the demographic changes in the neighborhood.