The Bottle, Alabama is a community located in the northern corporate limits of Auburn, Alabama. The Bottle is located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 280 and Alabama Highway 147, five miles (8 km) north of downtown Auburn, and adjacent to the Auburn University North Fisheries Research Complex.
The Bottle is located at Alabama; its elevation is 760 feet (230 m).
The Bottle is named for the bright orange wooden replica of a Nehi soda bottle which stood in the location for nine years during the 1920s and 1930s. It has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names.
Built in 1924, and billed as "the world's largest bottle", The Bottle (sometimes referred to as The "Nehi Inn") was built by John F. Williams owner of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, Alabama. The Bottle stood 64-feet (19.5 m) tall, and measured forty-nine feet (14.94 m) in diameter at the base, and 16 feet (4.88 m) at the cap. The ground floor was a grocery store and service station, and the 2nd and 3rd floors were living quarters and storage. The neck of the Bottle had windows so as to be used as an observation tower. The "bottle cap" was the roof. Inside there was a spiral oak stairway. The Bottle became a gathering place for tourists and locals alike to swap yarns and have parties every Friday night on the balcony above the service station.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt stopped briefly at The Bottle after visiting Auburn. So did Grand Ole Opry comedienne Minnie Pearl.
According to a 2001 account by W.A. "Arthur" Wood, The Bottle burned at 5:00 a.m. one morning in the fall of 1936.In Jill's book there is a photo that states burned at 4:30 a.m. in fall of 1936. Another newspaper article by Betty Douglas that has burned in 1933 but the copy in Jill's book has a handwritten line and 1935 written in and from another by Denise Shealey has a summer morning in 1935.
Even though the Bottle structure no longer exists, the name does and is still on Alabama maps listing the area as "The Bottle."
Currently, in The Bottle's former location stands only an empty lot. The property was put on sale in 2005 by First Realty of Auburn. The land was purchased in early 2006 by The Hayley Redd Development Company.