Fortaleza de Santa Teresa, or Fortaleza Santa Tereza is a military fortification located 36 km (22 mi) south of Chuy and 305 km (190 mi) northeast of Montevideo on Route 9, in the Rocha Department of eastern Uruguay. It lies about 800 m (2,600 ft) from the coast at Playa la Moza, almost halfway between Angostura (to the south) and La Coronilla (to the north), north of Punta del Diablo and roughly 4 km (2.5 mi) northeast of the northeast bank of the Laguna Negra. It lies within the Santa Teresa National Park. It was erected from October 1762 by the Portuguese, having abandoned the attempt at building a fort in Maldonado and leaving the Fuerte San Miguel.
It has the shape of an irregular pentagon, and five angles are finished in projecting bastions. There are five checkpoints for each angle of the pentagon, elegantly constructed in the form of carved stone pulpit. The perimeter of the fortress measures 652 meters and it occupies one hectare in area.
Inside the fortress it lodged a maximum of about 300,000,000 men. The interior construction, also of stone masonry, preserved in perfect condition from the colonial era, have been restored with care and replacement roofs added.
The cemetery is located a short distance from the west wall, and used from the second half of the eighteenth century to beyond the extinction of the fortress as such, since it continued to be in use in the neighborhood.